Saturday, July 08, 2006

Do the LDS Conspire to Change History?

The problem with the conspiracy theories concerning the LDS Church is that the detractors of the LDS faith do not accept history unless it fits their preconceptions. An honest reading the Bible, the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price and Doctrine and Covenants as well as LDS Church history reveals there was no effort to cover up anything. For example, if I had been writing the Bible I might have attempted to cover up the following;
  • The Lies of Abraham
  • The Anger Fits of Moses
  • The Sins of David
  • Paul and Barnabas not being able to get along and having to part ways
I might have had a “public relations office” cover up all of these things. The fact remains that the Bible uses such events as teaching opportunities as well as to teach us that even those who have authority are not perfect. So it is with LDS Church history and scripture.

have studied the Early 1st and 2nd century Church as well as LDS Church history for the last 10 years and I am amazed at what is recorded about some of the key leaders that we regard so highly in history of both the ancient church and the modern restored church. These histories tell stories of authorized leaders and their short comings, sins, and failures. It is laid right out there in a most honest way. Just as it was with the ancient Church leaders so it is with the Modern Church leadership. They learn as we do line by line precept by precept. [1]

Often times what is drawn from Church leaders of the past is, like the matter of blood atonement, misquoted, misrepresented, or taken out of context. Not everything that was ever spoken or written by the Prophets and Apostles is part of what we teach today. Can a prophet have a personal opinion? Did Prophets and Apostles past and current make mistakes? I think that is established in my earlier comments on Moses, Abraham, Paul and Barnabas as well as others like Jonah. We as LDS do not believe a prophet or apostle is perfect. We love and sustain them as authorized by the Lord. Just as Paul made mistakes we admire his boldness and dedication and treasure his epistles. James pointed out that Elijah "was a man subject to like passions as we are" [James 5:17]. Joseph Smith taught "a prophet [is] a prophet only when he [is] acting as such.[2] On one occasion the prophet Joseph Smith declared: "I told them I was but a man, and they must not expect me to be perfect; if they expected perfection from me, I should expect it from them; but if they would bear with my infirmities and the infirmities of the brethren, I would likewise bear with their infirmities" [3] Lorenzo Snow commented; if he does not know everything I know... I saw the... imperfections in [Joseph Smith]... I thanked God that He would put upon him... for I knew that I myself had weakness, and I thought there was a chance for me. [4]

The detractors of the LDS faith somehow think that history is a plot or conspiracy to hide and manipulate truth. Truth has a way of emerging on top especially in light of such opposition. After all just because there is a lot of opposition does not make the LDS Church any less true especially in light of all the materials that the LDS church makes available. What these same detractors do not realize is that the Sadducee’s and Pharisee’s attempted to squash or twist the eternal truth of Jesus Christ in Christ’s day and these same type of detractors are doing the same thing now calling on the traditions of men instead of an authorized priesthood. True messengers of God are builders—not destroyers. We send our missionaries into the world to teach and to assist people in receiving truth line upon line until the fullness of the gospel is received. [5]

My opinion is that detractors of the LDS faith seem to have an over active imagination claiming some history is doctrine of the LDS church that simply isn't so and twisting good doctrine into unrecognizable forms. One has to wonder why so much effort is put into attempting to discredit the LDS faith.

Wer62

__________________________________________________
Footnotes:
[1] Isa 28:10, 13, 17
[2] Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg 278
[3] Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg 268
[4] Lorenzo Snow, as cited in Maxwell, Conference Report October 1984, 10
[5] Elder Carlos E. Asay, as cited in Sunday Afternoon session October 4, 1981

7 comments:

rick b said...

Ed, This Steven Guy is I suspect the bogus Rick B. I know your honest enough to contact Sharon, if you do that she will tell you this Steven Guy is a liar. He does not know her. Rick b

Anonymous said...

Wer62. I feel i should tell you that im no liar. but i will leave it in our God hand's. This is what i left on rick b. blog steven Boswich said...


651-529-9377 call my office.

7:59 PM, July 19, 2006


Steven Boswich said...
I just read you're posting about me, I am not a Mormon i am a christian. And if you know Sharon, then you should not assume that her friend's are otherwise! i have nothing against any religion, in all God hears all no matter what religion you are, you call out to him and he answer's. You said in one of you're post that God called you to Mormonism, Why did God only call you to witness to them, When there are a lot of lost soul's out there, why not the catholics ? etc. why would he just single out Mormon's? i understand you want to direct them in the right way, but what about the other's ???????????

8:40 PM, July 19, 2006

rick b said...

Ed, Me and Sharon both called that phone number, it is a local call for us, it is a BOGUS!!!!! Phone number. Steve is pullin your chain. Just curious, you claim you want to be truthful and acurate as possible, I believe you do try, are you going to write sharon and know for sure who is lying or are you gonna remain in the dark about it and only assume who is honest.

If you choose not to write her, please let me know why, if you do, please post for the record you did write her and what did she tell you. I think you know the truth with out calling that number or writing her, but what will you do with that truth? Rick b

Anonymous said...

Steven Boswich said...
Rick B. I am not those people you claim i am, I have no clue what these people did to you. But i am sorry to inform you once again, I AM A CHRISTIAN OF YOUR BELIEF'S !!!! Not a mormon OR whatever else you think i am !!! You are upset because i caught you in you're lies. And as my phone number being a lie, it is the phone number to my office, and it has been for the last 10 yrs. delete this, or whatever, i will be posting everywhere else.

2:55 PM, July 20, 2006

Wer62 said...

Wolfsdinner, I will not go into great detail, but give you my preliminary thoughts concerning your comment.

When we speak of history we speak of the facts concerning the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and how it was formed and some of the events that took place. This is different that speaking of "Doctrine"

We are taught to teach line upon line precept upon precept in the Bible. The Prophet GB Hinkley was not hiding in history as you suggest but moreover he was not serving the meat of the doctrine. (i.e. The Milk before Meat Couplet that you may or may not be aware of)

These are preliminary thoughts that are un-arranged due to lack of time. I can give scriptural references if you would like. I hope I put enough in here to explain my position. If not just inquire and I will continue on.

I have read the article you requested and I am formulating a response. First glance I like what I saw and you are an excellent writer. I may not agree with everything you wrote but I can certainly respect your opinion.

Wer62 (Ed)

Sharon said...

Ed wrote:

"True messengers of God are builders—not destroyers."

Reading 1 John 3:7-8:
"Little children, let no one deceive you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, that He might destroy the works of the devil."

I suggest that "true messengers of God" build with truth, which often results in the destruction of "the works of the devil."

Wer62 said...

May I respond to your comment to your e-mail. I have several things I would love to reply on but it would be to lenthy for a simple comment. Things like Lehi and open air ship. Which BTW was on that ship, the "submarine" type ship was for the Jaredites not the Nephites. Little things like that taken out of context or misunderstood. As for the Peep Stone, that is a matter of conjecture. We can talk on this one.

Wer62